Friday, January 02, 2009

Packers special teams coach retires

As predicted here and many other places, Mike Stock, the Packers special teams coach, will no longer be part of the staff next season. The only difference is that I and others thought he'd be fired after the pathetic play of the special teams this season. Instead, Stock announced his retirement. At age 69, and with 44 years of coaching experience, maybe it's better to retire than be fired. Or at least, give the public appearance that that's the case.

Here's Stock's statement through the Packers: "My passion for the game was strong through the very last contest, but in thinking further about the commitment needed for another season and discussing it with my family, ultimately I decided this was the best decision for us," Stock said. "I've been very fortunate throughout my life to play and coach a sport I love very much. I thank the Green Bay Packers for the opportunity to spend three wonderful years here. I'll miss the games, and I'll miss the people. But I look forward to spending more time with my wife, my three children and five grandchildren."

You can read more about Stock's retirement here.

That's one of the key coaching changes that needed to be made. No word yet on defensive coordinator Bob Sanders. Perhaps there's another "retirement" notice in the works.