Monday, October 01, 2007

Football folks reflect upon Favre

As much as we Packer fans extol the accomplishments of ol' #4, it is sometimes of interest to see what others have to say. In today's Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel, you can read what Mike Holmgren, Bart Starr, and Joe Montana had to say. Also, a recap of Dan Marino's video message to Brett after he broke the record.

Elsewhere, there were the comments on ESPN before the game. Mike Ditka had this to say: "One of the best things that happened to me, I got fired in 1992 and that's when he (Favre) started. But I'll give him the ultimate compliment, as far as I'm concerned. To me, that's a guy I would have loved to have played with. I would have loved to be in the huddle with that guy." You know, I think Brett probably would have enjoyed that, too. And Emmitt Smith added, ""What I love about Brett Favre, and I have never seen it in my years playing football and watching the game, I have never seen a quarterback enjoy his position, enjoy the game, as much as Brett Favre. I'll tell you. There are only two quarterbacks in the league who I would love to have played with, outside of my own Troy Aikman. Brett Favre is one. Dan Marino is the other." Coming from Mr. Smith, that's high praise indeed.

But when all the accolades are said and done, though, it's hard to beat Joe Montana's kudos to Brett: "Congratulations you old fart!". Simple. Direct. Kinda says it all.