Thursday, June 01, 2006

Cory Rodgers Bust - Mea Culpa

From today's online Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel:

Following (Wednesday's) practice, rookie wide receiver Cory Rodgers, a fourth-round draft choice out of Texas Christian, addressed his recent arrest in Forth Worth, Texas, for misdemeanor gun charges.

According to police, he and two former TCU teammates were mixed up in a brawl at a club that involved up to 60 people after Rodgers, 23, refused to sign autographs and buy drinks for people in the bar.

Rodgers was ultimately charged with unlawfully carrying a firearm and unlawfully discharging a firearm after officers heard two shots and found him in the back seat of his car with a .40-caliber automatic handgun and ammunition in a seat pouch in front of him.

"I want to apologize to my family, the Packers organization, my teammates, my coaches, and especially the fans," Rodgers said. "I made a mistake and I have to live with it, so I just want my fans and the Packer organization to know that I'm deeply sorry for the incident that happened and I have to respect the judicial system and I would hope that the fans and the media respect that, too."

Said coach Mike McCarthy: "He's a young man that was in the wrong place and he just needs to learn to not be in that situation again."